• 11point
  • hunter
  • slide3
  • bk
  • IMG 3429
  • smallie

With over 200 big game animals harvested, I still didn’t have a moose.  I wanted a big moose which meant I needed an Alaskan/Yukon moose.  In 2010 a friend and I decided to try and find a great moose hunt.  I spent the better part of a year researching outfitters in Alaska and the Yukon before I decided to book our hunts with Lone Wolf Outfitters out of Whitehorse, Yukon.   We spent the better part of the next year planning for our September 2012 hunt.

We flew to Whitehorse, Yukon on September 18th and then took a float plane the next day 100 miles east to our camp on Fish Lake, our home for the next eight days.  We would be hunting moose, grizzly and wolves on the lake and river system that the lake drained into. 

The first couple days of our hunt the weather was warm and beautiful, too warm for moose hunting.  I did manage to see one small bull and a few cows and calves.  My hunting partner, Eric, shot a nice bull late on the second day of the hunt.

The third day we decided to hunt the lake shoreline rather than the river.  We did see several small bulls, cows and calves and finally right at dark a bull that looked like a shooter.  He was 600 yards away as my guides frantically rowed trying to close the distance.  Unfortunately he didn’t hang around for us to get a good look at him. 

We decided to try the same spot the next afternoon to see if we could locate the moose.  He didn’t show up but a different bull did.  He was a shooter, but it was only the 4th day of my hunt and I decided to hold out for a bigger moose.  As I watched him, 3 cows and calf, I couldn’t help but wonder if I was making the right decision.

The next day we went back to floating the river and had no luck.  On day 6, we decided to head back to the end of the lake where we had seen the two shooters.  I wouldn’t be so picky this time.  Several hours before dark we were tied up on the right shoreline about 180 yards from the end of the lake.  Soon we heard a bull in the brush right next to us start grunting and raking the brush with his antlers.  We quickly moved about 200 yards from the shoreline so the bull wouldn’t be right on top of us if he came out.  Soon we heard another bull on the left shoreline which was about 400 yards away.  The bulls were not happy to be around one another and we figured it was only a matter of time before they would approach one another and show themselves. 

About a half hour later all hell broke loose in the woods to our right.  At first we thought the bull was fighting with another bull, but then we saw the bull crashing through the timber and running straight at us.  He ran about 40 yards into the lake before he spun around and faced the shore.  You can imagine our shock when we looked toward shore and saw seven wolves chasing him.  He was safe standing in about 4 foot of water as the wolves stayed close to shore.

My guides were yelling “shoot the wolves, shoot the wolves”.  I asked if the bull was big enough to shoot but their only response was “shoot the wolves, shoot the wolves”.  Finally one of the guides said the bull was not quite big enough so I picked out the biggest black wolf that was standing in about a foot of water and shot.  He went down but jumped up and ran into the bush.  After about a minute the bull decided he had had enough.  He swam past us and went back to shore about 400 yards from where the wolves had been.

You can imagine our surprise when after all of the commotion and a gunshot we looked up to see the other bull coming down the shoreline to check things out.  It was the bull from the third day and he was definitely a shooter.  He hit an opening in the brush at 210 yards and I shot.  I double lunged him but he spun around and ran about 150 feet out into the lake where I gave him another round from my Weatherby 338-378.  He went down; I had my bull. 

He was floating and we dragged him as close to shore as possible and then went back to camp to get a come-along to try and get him closer to shore.  We got him about 30 feet from shore before we could no longer move him.  We gutted him out in the lake and left him laying feet up in the lake until the next day when we quartered him in the lake.  It was a great hunt and I will never forget the image of that bull being chased by seven wolves.

I got a great moose and a large black wolf.  As it turned out, the wolf was bigger than we thought.  After a 60 day drying period the skull was measured by a master SCI measurer and he was ranked #5 in the world.  I’ll never forget the events of that afternoon; especially that pack of wolves chasing the bull.



Partner Spotlight

Pro Staff Spotlight

Powered by Heartland Hunters


Build Your Site Tap into Heartland Hunter's experience as web presence facilitators.


Maintain Your Site We offer a variety of packages to fit your needs.


Facilitate Traffic Learn how Heartland Hunters can help introduce your brand to the world.


Fall 2013

Fall 2013 Fall 2013
Volume 5 Issue 4 Fall 2013 The Waiting Game
Steve Bemke - HH Pro Staff   It was day two of our Wyoming pronghorn archery hunt. Rain had soaked the prairies during the weeks prior to our...

Summer 2013 Newsletter

Summer 2013 Newsletter Summer 2013 Newsletter
Volume 5 Issue 2 Summer 2013 A Yukon Hunt to Remember
John Gibbs - HH Pro Staff With over 200 big game animals harvested, I still didn’t have a moose.  I wanted a big moose which meant...

Spring 2013 Newsletter

Spring 2013 Newsletter Spring 2013 Newsletter
Volume 5 Issue 2 Spring 2013  Snow Days
By Mark Casper, Heartland Hunters Pro Staff The excitement had been...

Winter 2012 Newsletter

Winter 2012 Newsletter Winter 2012 Newsletter
Volume 4 Number 1 Winter 2012 To Tech or Not to Tech?
Ben Scofield- Heartland Hunters Pro Staff That is a question on the mind of many hunters. For every hunter asking his or herself this question,...
Back to Top